Monday, March 8, 2010

Tailor to the Rescue Part 2

Last week I took 3 frumpy dresses to my local tailor last week. I tried them on and talked about what I didn't like about each dress. After discussing with my tailor what could be done I left the rest in her hands.

A week later and I am loving the results. They look like new dresses!

In doubt if a flaw can be fixed? Too big, too small? too long? Take it to a tailor, the magic they work can be suprising.

Too long? The tailor can hem it easy for under $15, this include sleeves. I have freakishly long thin arms so I even like to make the cuff narrower and the sleeve 3/4 length.

Too wide? The tailor can take almost anything in (blazers, skirts, dresses) as long as it's not at the shoulder. Again a pretty cheap fix.

Too Short? Trickier, some clothing lines will build in 1/2 inch to an inch of extra fabric at the sleeves and hems for the tailor to extend. However, if this is not the case, you can use extra store brought fabric to add and make some clever design changes.

Pick a pretty fabric and have your tailor add it for a fresh look

Too Tight? I have this sexy sequined floor length dress from a Georgetown Vintage Store that I call my Barbie Dress. Except it's a little too small in a few areas. The tailor can add extra store brought fabric in clever ways. You can be your own designer but picking your own fabric and thinking of where to add it. Look at magazines or pictures from vintage archives of what the new look will be.

what cant' tulle fix?!

No comments:

Post a Comment