Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm losing weight not because I'm Vain but Because I'm Frugal

My favorite foods are...

Mushroom Risotto with truffle oil, Godiva Almond Butter Truffles, foie gras, my mom's General Tsao's Chicken, Butternut Squash Soup...


No wonder I've gained some weight. Most would consider me svelte just not as wispy as I used to be. In my mom's words, I look more "womanly."

But here I am eating my preplanned meals from Wholefoods. I'm not being vain. I'm not a cult follower of fashion edict that only thin is fashionable, that only thin (and designer-cut thin) is beautiful. There is an ideal weight for every individual woman and it's up to her to decide what weight is most beautiful for her.


I'm losing weight because I'm frugal. I can't buy clothes (check my very first entry.) Last week I had a sexy red Ralph Lauren short-sleeved dress tailored into a more body hugging shape. Red is a very powerful color and I didn't want to be overwhelmed by it. The tailor did an excellent job but when I put the finished piece on, my growing belly was there to greet me under the thin stretchy fabric.  A mole hill of a belly and not a mountain yet but I'm starting to belt my trousers one hole less. I still fit into everything I own but some pieces, like the little red dress, just doesn't look as good to be perfectly honest. I'm not in bikini shape but with the proper styling, I could hide my flaws.


I'm not saying you aim for a 5'10" 120 lb frame like most runway models but you're not starving yourself to  go back to the weight you maintained for the last 5 years.

So keep this in mind as your New Year's resolution to get back into fighting shape starts to wane, reworking your own closet may be your biggest motivation. Especially if it's a well invested wardrobe made of beautiful shift dresses in richly embroidered fabrics, sentimental presents from girlfriends and Mom (that Easter dress to entice you to come home, a Qi Pao from study abroad,) trophy buys (snagging that last Rodarte lace dress, the Burberry trench you saved up for a year) and worned down favorite sweaters. They all would be a terrible waste if you were to 'grow' out of them, sitting in your closet mocking you.



And yes, Fashion can be your biggest champion and loudest cheerleader. Welcoming you back with open arms as you slip on your favorite jeans and jump in ecstasy.

Ask Karl Lagerfeld, legendary designer and diet book author said:

"One morning I woke up and didn't like my looks any longer. I wanted to dress differently. I wanted to wear the clothes designed by Hedi Slimane (first at Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Homme and now at Dior Homme). But for that kind of fashion--which was shown at his collection on very, very skinny boys (and not men my age), I had to lose 90 pounds--even a little more if I could.


I decided to become a perfect 135-pound, five-foot 11-inch hanger. My desire to lose weight was only about clothes--not about health problems or because I wanted to be more attractive to others. I admit my reasoning is considered superficial by some, but I think fashion--for women as well as for men--is the healthiest motivation for losing weight. What is important is that you take the superficial and use it in a creative, productive, and finally self-preserving way. "
-Harper's Bazaar in Feb 2002

I encourage a healthy attitude towards dieting, eating fresh veggies and fruits, moderate excercise and cutting back on sugar and alcohol. Anything drastic or gimmicky and you'll probably gain it all back. For me, it's been going well, I have a workout buddy and I get cranky when I'm hungry so I'm definitly not starving myself. What are some of my tips? Tighten your belt around your dress or pants to prevent overeating and eat soups (none cream) for dinner if you work out at night. I also eat very slowly when I'm out and try to eat only half the portion I'm served.

No comments:

Post a Comment