Thursday, February 25, 2010

To the Tailor!

Why are there always clothes that you never wear? Clothes that still have the tags on. Or maybe you wore a whole...one..time?

It's a global phenomenom that probably drive men nuts.  Why do women buy clothes if they are never going to wear them?!! Clothes you completely forget that get no love and no attention. Not the really ugly ill-fitting presents or hand-me-downs from relatives but that blousy summer dress you bought on sale from H&M.



Constantly taunting me, I grabbed the 'middle-child' clothes of my wardrobe and took them to my local tailor to transform them into the stunners that they are.

The first was a loose, shapeless but beautiful red breezy dress from Target. For only $25 I thought I could deal with it's flaws but could never get around to wearing it out in public. Everything was just a tad too loose.

Next was a timeless black shift from Calvin Klein, simple but beautiful in it's subtle detials. The problem was it was 3 inches to long and came off as kinda mantronly.

Finally there was my ebay steal Ralph Lauren Red Bombshell 'gasp!' dress. A very thin vericose material it showed every bump and curve and therefore required expert tailoring regardless how perfect your body was.

In a week, I'll have the verdict whether these pieces would be transformed into wardrobe staples but it never hurts to be proactive.

Everyone needs a tailor and it's another phenomenom that when women go shopping they expect clothes off the rack to fit their bodies perfectly. And instead of beating your body up for not fitting Banana Republic's image of a size 6, take it to a tailor to make the clothes work for you.

Never been to a tailor? A big help is knowing what silhouettes flatter you the most. Deep V's, A lines? Padded shoulders? For me, it's a classic straight line shape (think pencil skirts), 3/4 sleeves ( I have long arms) and unpadded shoulders (unless I want to look like a boy.)

Also, keep in mind of the shoe(s) you will be wearing if you are tailoring pants or skirts. If you are going to wear flats, skirts should be shorter to give you a longer leg line but if you are going to wear heels, pants should be longer or otherwise they'll look too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment