Tuesday, February 9, 2010

MOTHER F&a*#$@ERRRRRRRRRRR!! I HAD TO SHOP!

For those of you who do not own a TV, read the newspaper or listen to the radio, the Mid-Atlantic is in the middle of an epic snowstorm. With another 10-20 inches heading towards D.C. today and tomorrow.

AWESOME. So last Friday, my futile attempt to go home was thwarted by 36 inches of snow and ice and I was grounded in Chicago.

And there I was...4 days of clothes and 1 pair of shoes that now had to last me 11 days in all situations, work, dinner and going out. So I had no choice...

I had to go Shopping!!! don don donnnnn

you would think I would be delighted but it ended up being the most frustrating shopping trip of my life, how did I lose my Jedi shopping skills so quickly?!!

I don't think it was I lost my god given shopping talent but instead my new purchases reflected my attitude towards clothes, towards finance, towards life

After wondering aroung the Forever 21 labyrinth on Michigan Ave and fighting the accessories Minotaur, I came out with a pair of militant booties, black leggings, a soft gray knit with sequined shoulders and a short jacket trimmed with chains complete with shoulder pads.

Next at Zara's, I steered past the $70 silk YSL-esque tops (too expensive now) and straight to the racks and racks of discounts. I came out with a simple soft black turtle neck, a white silk skirt and a pair of peep-toed beige woven heels.

Last but not least, a silky drapey coral red knee-length dress from Target. Quite boho yet quite powerful.

All under $250. Miraculous. $250 would be my shopping allowance for a week before I started this resolution. And I would come out with 2 or maybe even 3 items back in those days.

However it did take me a good 3 hours and more hours of ordeal to come if I made good enough choices! Choices! does this fit me perfectly? do I already own this? How many ways can I wear this? Will this carry through all the seasons? Did I spend too much? Do I really need this?

And maybe this is a good thing. The change in me, I have to say is nice.

Now, I see I've emerged as a minimalist, disciplined and frugal. I still don't underestimate the quality you receive with a pricey designer frock.

But Style is best achieved in simplicity and on a budget

2 comments: